wagthefox

Wag The Fox

a genre mutt's den for dark fiction

Condemned
Michael McBride
Knuckleball (One Eye Press Singles)
Tom Pitts
Tokyo Raider: A Tale of the Grimnoir Chronicles
Larry Correia, Bronson Pinchot
The Boy Who Killed Demons
Dave Zeltserman
Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers (Howdunit )
Lee Lofland
Evil Dark: An Occult Crime Unit Investigation (Occult Crimes Unit)
Justin Gustainis
Lee Lofland
Boy's Life
Robert R. McCammon

Common Nonsense: Glenn Beck and the Triumph of Ignorance

Common Nonsense: Glenn Beck and the Triumph of Ignorance - Alexander Zaitchik Originally posted on Audible.com

Where does Common Nonsense rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?
Well, this is one of the first nonfiction audiobooks I've listened to, and by virtue of its subject it was not a boring one. It may not have been an impartial book, but it was by no means boring, either.

What was one of the most memorable moments of Common Nonsense?
My familiarity with Glenn Beck's broadcasts come primarily from YouTube snippets of his more vehement rants and outbursts. I always got the sense the guy was disingenuous, what with the crocodile tears and all that silliness, so it was quite interesting to learn of his affinity for Orson Welles' "War of the Worlds" broadcast.It was also interesting to get a bit of a behind-the-scenes on some of his more memorable on-air spectacles.

Which character – as performed by Tom Dheere – was your favorite?
I suppose I should take a star away for Tom's reticence in portraying the racist supporters of Glenn Beck with more cartoonish zeal. The letters of support for Beck by these woefully ignorant and hate-filled "patriots" practically screamed for parody. But Tom Dheere took the high road, and did so through the entirety of his narration.

Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?
I'm not an extremist, so my reaction was even-tempered, which is more than can be said for many of the detractors of this book. While Zaitchik's own commentary is tinged with ridicule of his subject, the research and pacing are very well done. And being reminded of Glenn Beck's Vaudevillian approach to journalism and activism definitely offered frequent chuckles. On the other hand, the notion so many adore this huckster is nearly enough to weep for the nation.

Any additional comments?
If you love Glenn Beck and consider yourself one of the "true" Americans, you're going to find nothing but rage fuel in this book. If you're genuinely curious about what drives one of America's most notorious pundits, this is a pretty good place to start.