wagthefox

Wag The Fox

a genre mutt's den for dark fiction

Condemned
Michael McBride
Knuckleball (One Eye Press Singles)
Tom Pitts
Tokyo Raider: A Tale of the Grimnoir Chronicles
Larry Correia, Bronson Pinchot
The Boy Who Killed Demons
Dave Zeltserman
Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers (Howdunit )
Lee Lofland
Evil Dark: An Occult Crime Unit Investigation (Occult Crimes Unit)
Justin Gustainis
Lee Lofland
Boy's Life
Robert R. McCammon

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You - Brian K. Vaughan, Joss Whedon, Georges Jeanty, Cliff Richards, Andy Owens, Dave Stewart, Richard Starkings In the first volume of Buffy Season 8, we discovered that the fight isn't over for Buffy and her army of newly awakened slayer girls. A new entity known as Twilight is out to stir up some really bad mojo. It's not a Stephenie Meyer fan club looking for bloodsucker supremacy, though. And one of Buffy's former enemies is about to be recruited to rejoin the fight. Faith is back.

When I watched the show back, Faith was one of my favorite characters because she was just a foul-mouthed tomboy that could snap your neck as soon as give you a kiss on the cheek. She may have even done that in an episode. In this book, she's still bitter and rueful over her experiences in Sunnydale and how many bad life choices she made. But Giles recruits her to assassinate another rogue slayer with the promise of redemption and a fresh start in life. Too good to resist for her.

The rogue slayer is a British debutante named Genevieve, being trained by an Irish warlock working for Twilight. As if being a stuck-up prude isn't irritating enough, throw in the ability to main and kill, and she's all the way evil. And a perfect Buffy villain. Her ultimate target is Buffy, so she can take over the slayer army and rule as she sees fit. Faith basically has to pose as a visiting noble lady long enough to kill her.

But as she spends time with Genevieve, Faith's resentment towards Buffy is rekindled and there is a moment of temptation that she has to face. Will she kill Genevieve and do Buffy's dirty work, or will she join forces with Genevieve and bring an end to the gal who once killed her--or as much as a slayer can be killed in Whedon's universe.

Brian K. Vaughn does a great job capturing the atmosphere of the show, and taps in to a previous storyline involving Faith's turn on the dark side very well. I was not a fan of Vaughn's Y the Last Man when I read it last year, so I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this book so much. I may even give the second volume in Y the Last Man a chance now. As for the Buffy series, I'm very much looking forward to reading the third volume in this series. Great stuff so far.